Tuesday, August 5, 2008

It's Your Move...

Always on the lookout for new books, I regularly check in with fellow blogger, Readerbuzz. A librarian and an avid reader, she always has some interesting reads posted on her site. This morning, while noodling around her page, an unknown term caught my eye: meme.

Well you can imagine that my first issue was proper pronunciation: /meem/ or /mim/ or /meemee/ ? Like any self-respecting web-crawler, I scurried to the source of infinite wisdom and googled it.

Here is what I found: as for pronunciation, the first two phonetic spellings seem to predominate web discourse. Ironically, pronunciation is the most complex aspect of this web2.0 phenomena.

Originally used in sociological and psychological constructs (Google it if you want the full discussion), the web application refers to an exponentially expanding discussion that revolves around a series of questions and answers. An author creates a series of compelling queries, publishes them, and hopes that readers will read, answer, and spread the news.

I'm not sure what the true motivation is: the thirst for answers to some of life's great questions or the desire to start a trend, to be noticed, to be noted and/or known. Somehow I'd bet on the latter. Who wouldn't want to give birth to some kind of cultural revolution? To be able to say, "I invented that move."

Not surprisingly, one of my favorite Seinfeld episodes, "Fusilli Jerry," explores the importance of having a "move." Although directly referring to sexual techniques, George makes an important point about "moves" in general: to Jerry he complains "You told David Putty your move and you didn't tell me? I need a move. You know I have no moves, Jerry. "

We all want something that will make us special, set us apart, define us. So, what is your move? Wait -- before you answer that question, let's put some parameters on this discussion!

First, we don't want to know about the intimate moments of your life. I'm sure there are other forums for those discussions, but you'll have to ask someone else: this blog is strictly "pg" or perhaps "pg-13."

Second, let's decide how a "move" is defined. For our purposes, a move is some act that either defines or is defined by the mover. For example, Elvis' move involved the swaying of the hips; Kramer's, falling; Johnny Carson's, the little salute... A move is some action that implicitly bears a signature.

So, I ask again, what is your move? What words, actions, habits, and/or ticks help to define you?

Questions to consider:
1. Do you have a signature move or movement?
2. A saying, phrase, or idiom which peppers your parlance?
3. An identifying mark or brand?
4. A particular article or artifact that people would associate with you?
5. A theme song?

Don't worry about sharing your carefully cultivated characteristics. We, the readers of this blog, collectively agree to attribute any moves we adopt to the original source. For example, the shoulder dance: that move belongs to Nancy. The gumbo recipe? Grandpa's, of course.

As Jerry remarks to George, "The point is when something like this is passed along, one must be certain that it's going to be used in a conscientious way. This is not some parlor trick to be used---" (http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheFusilliJerry.htm).

So give us your best, fair readers. We won't steal them, we won't adulterate them, but we just might copy them!

Oh, my answers?
1. Do you have a signature move or movement?
Clinched fists - my body language of choice for any activity from teaching to running to chatting at a cocktail party. (Best executed with a little wad of Kleenex or paper towel inside.)

2. A saying, phrase, or idiom which peppers your parlance?
"For lack of a better descriptor," "Well...," and "All that good stuff."

3. An identifying mark or brand?
I have lots of freckles and (I hesitate to even admit it) moles. I didn't choose these, of course, and find them enough on their own. No further embellishment needed.

4. A particular article or artifact that people would associate with you?
A can of Diet Coke. In fact, in a caricature drawn by one of my students, the "ubiquitous Diet Coke" (her words, not mine) featured prominently.

5. A theme song?
"Brick House."

Again, here are the questions to consider:
1. Do you have a signature move or movement?
2. A saying, phrase, or idiom which peppers your parlance?
3. An identifying mark or brand?
4. A particular article or artifact that people would associate with you?
5. A theme song?

7 comments:

nancym said...

Oh my gosh. The lack of comments show that no one is blogging out there in bloggerville. I love the whole post. It splke to me as I just explanined to Becky in email that I want my nscu to be circulated world wide but that we must all use it and for a while define it. I know that some of you would rather die that send off an emailed without spell check but I as do many others lack that trait. But since My notority as the randon daily responder never took hold I am really hanging my hat on nscu. Could you put the questions on the bottom of your blog so I could copy and paste them and them respond to them? I'm not very good at switching between screens.. Meme...hmmmmAgain fabulous post perhaps you should post it on teacherlingo where perhaps it would be appreciated and send some personal alert to those bloggers who you know would enjoy it. I think it is great. Are you allowed to blog in Maine or is that aginst vaction rules. nscu

LauraAnn said...

Bloggerville is indeed a very quiet place these days - I wonder if there has been some kind of mass cyberspace evacuation that no one told us about? Hmnnn... that would be a good story for Stephen King or Dean Koontz.

Yes, I will put the questions at the bottom of the post; I am anxiously awaiting your responses... maybe Becky would like to answer as well?

As for Maine, there is an internet cafe where we can go and check our e-mail, etc., but I think too much technology violates the whole vacation spirit. Just books, crosswords, and sudokus for me...

By the way, nscu on this response - no animals harmed, either.

Ann Williams said...

Let me see if I can remember all the questions--my move--one raised eyebrow maybe--or a glance at a sympathetic friend in which we lock eyes to show how bored (or annoyed) we are with something someone has just said--
my artifact--maybe my turquoise and gold ring? I am trying to think what people would associate with me--
Since a child I have said "anyway...." at the end of a conversation or a statement--my older son says it too--or it class it might be "are you ready to pump iron?" before an in-class writing--

Ann Williams said...

my song--definitely La Vie en Rose--I do see the world through rose-colored glasses--sometimes to my detriment--
my mark or brand--maybe my white hair--I prefer to call it platinum--
what do you think the answers are to these questions for me?
I never even noticed your freckles--I would say your brand is your beautiful clothes and slight body--

nancym said...

Wow beautiful clothes and slight body. Those words must be music to your ears. I wish someone would say that about me! How about 'Darnit anyhow", or "I just love that" tapping and looking at my empty wrist to show time is a passing, my plain silver jewelry that I just keep on everyday except this summer, The way I break into song at the mention of a word and am not too embarassed to sing, Never waearing anything too fancy just adding my own sparkle to an outfit, the way I dance at the perimeter of vulgarity and only occasionally fall in. I'm not sure which of these go with which question. Theme song? Do I have to just pick one? I have one for every occasion. What I lack in sparkle or clothing I make up for in my love for popular music though I don't even have an Ipod and have never down loaded a song in my life. I love good old FM music roulette punch the button and see what comes of it. I do love the song you gotta be bad you gotta be bold yo gotta stay together that I used to play for my ED boys. Oh man this is more of a post than a response. How did I get so wordy? I hate that in books and other peoole so I shall quickly close. Nancy

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed with your ability to blog so fluidly. Seriously. What an interesting idea - to answer the meme question...my signature saying is "Seriously?" and my signature look is wearing my glasses on my head. And my song is "Brick House" too! In fact, when I call my friend's cell phone, she has it as my ring tone! Kind of funny when I call her while she's in public....LOL Thanks, LK! See you in a bit :)

Dyslexic Mystery Lover said...

O.K. Now I want to play!
I'm usually referred to as "The Tall One". I hated that when I was little. And since I moved to Houston 3 years ago, people usually comment on my hick-like accent, yuck, I need to take classes to get rid of that. I know I have a signature saying that I usually don't hear anyone else say. When I learn something new that I can use in my daily life or something that I just can't believe I didn't already know, I'll say, "Well slap me silly and call me cornpone!" Renae you know about that one, ha! Do I have a move? BTW, the definition of corn pone (noun)is corn bread often made without milk or eggs and baked or fried. And the adjective is down-home or countrified. My theme song for the past few years has been Gloria Gaynor's 'I Will Survive'. Ann, I love your theme song. I have a music box that plays "La Vie en Rose". Is there anything else that I can put quotation marks around, just kidding!