Friday, July 24, 2009

Thing 10 - Digital Citizenship and Pie in the Sky


Pie in the Sky: that's me! Well, actually it is the name I am holding in reservation for my bakery, the one that I will open some years in the future when I've retired from teaching. I also like A Slice of Heaven, but it doesn't work as well in this particular blog post about digital citizenship. Oh, and Pie in the Sky does? Well, yes Virginia, it does. And how, pray tell? Well, because my response to the problems of digital citizenship, especially the Acceptable Use Policy may seem a tad idealistic. So, if you all will join hands, we'll sing a few lines of Kumbaya, and then I'll elaborate.


I'm sure that in all of the links and blogs about DC, it seems odd that I should fix on the AUP, but it seems like it may be the vital link in the relationship between the user and technology. If your school is anything like mine, the AUP is distributed within the first few days of school, along with the reams of other paperwork that must be signed: the clinic card, the emergency information card, the directory form, etc. It is just one sheet of paper that kids carry home in their first day folder, just another form that parents and students mindlessly sign and return. Check. Done. Right-o.


However, if we really expect students to become responsible digital citizens, if they are going to "act with respect to technology," then we're going to have to make the AUP an important document based on a shared educational philosophy that promotes technology as an integral part of both curriculum and delivery. As it stands now, it seems that most AUPs are just a bulleted list of do's and don't's that students agree to follow. Unless, that is, they can figure out how to get around the rules and restrictions.


Because, let's face it folks, that is what kids do: they spend countless hours calculating the best way to circumnavigate what authority figures want them to do. I'm not being negative, just realistic. I did it, you did it, (or at least we thought about it. Maybe we weren't the type to actually break the rules, but we could have if we wanted to. Or were brave enough to. Or didn't fear getting caught...) since the beginning of time kids have resisted authority measures. It is a normal part of adolescence.


So, ok, what does this mean for the fate of the AUP? It means that it must be a shared document, constructed and agreed upon by students, faculty, and administration alike. Ownership, by-in, whatever jargon you care to apply here will work. It would have to begin with a philosophy statement about the role of technology in modern education. Can you imagine what it would include? I have some ideas but would be curious to read your thoughts, too. Anyway, once a foundation was in place, then practices, limitations, even rules and consequences would follow in natural order. Kids might be willing to follow the AUP because they had a hand in its construction. What do you think? Too pie-in-the sky? I look forward to your responses.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I love your idea on getting kids involved in establishing an AUP. The one thing that I keep hearing over and over in my teacher training is that kids will learn/retain info much more effectively when the teacher can find a way to make it meaningful to them. Having the students involved in the writing of the AUP would be a great way to get them to take an active role in becoming good "digital citizens". But, I wonder how the whole school could cooperate to accomplish this? Maybe each grade level could have a different responsibility? Hmmm...
Or, maybe, you could go over the established AUP as a class and define all vague/ambiguous/legalese terms with a "Sounds like/looks like" table.
I totally agree with your 4th paragraph-the more specific restrictions you set up, the more clever they become in finding loopholes and technicalities!
This is a great post; it's got me thinking, and I look forward to reading the comments from others who have teaching experience!

nancym said...

I am surprised that you chose to talk about AUPs. I thought you would jump on teaching how to distinguish reputable and trustworthy sources and sites for research! I agree the AUP is rather a formality just in case you have a kid that breaks the rules and gets caught. I like Becky's ideas for student developed AUPs. She is sounding like a teacher!