Monday, May 26, 2008

Thing #5 - My Friend Flikr


To the list of words I like, I should add "image junkie." I think the term really captures something essential about modern appetites and thereby explains the proliferation of sites such as Flikr, Shutterfly, Google Images, etc.


I spent a good while just clicking through the different tagged collections, guided only by piques of interest or bouts of curiosity. I found the picture collections themselves overwhelming in size (9, 625 images!), and without some greater purpose, I could see myself getting lost in the labyrinth of images and losing a good deal of time... My case in point: it is now 6:05 a.m., and I wonder where the last hour has gone!
I haven't properly attributed this photo, and given the thoughtfulness of the Common Rules of Use, I want to make sure that I do so. I shall have to go back and read up on how to actually embed the copyright information. I am always after my students to credit their sources, aren't I?

After selecting a picture but not really feeling like I appreciated the value of Flikr beyond satiating our need for visual stimulation, I went back to the Learn2Play page for further instruction and guidance, and from there I ended up viewing the library groups.

Intrigued though I was by the 365 Library Project (imprecise title, if any of you go looking for it) and considered it a good way to promote, advertise, record, and even validate what organizations are doing, I wondered what applications it might have for the simple English teacher. I can certainly see its value in gathering and storing images, but I wonder how it could be used as a learning tool for students. I'll have to read around and see how other Learn2Play users are thinking...


1 comment:

VWB said...

I think you will be amazed at how Players will end up doing with photos! So many choices...so little time! I too get caught up in it all