Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Thing #12 - She's Quite a Talker, Isn't She?


Well, I'm glad to be back on solid footing after the Library Thing/ Shelfari debacle. I was going to go back and amend that post; however, I decided that other readers might actually enjoy reading about my vexations and frustrations.

And I have become mindful of my readers, haven't you all? At first, I just wrote away in seeming anonymity, likening my blog to a single grain of sand on the beach. How could it ever be discerned from among the others? And quite frankly, I doubted that anyone would actually want to read it!

And so I just started writing. And guess what? You guys showed up! At first I was self-conscious, especially as I knew some of the other bloggers, but then other screen names began popping up, and viola, a readership was born!

However, the flip side of the audience is the commitment, and in that sense, blogging is rather like dating : the first encounters are exhilarating, but sooner or later you have to decide whether or not you really want to pursue this relationship. Do I write back? If so, what do I say? I don't want to sound too forward, yet on the other hand I want to say something meaningful...

Thing #12 has reminded me that blogging is indeed a relationship, and all relationships require risk. So this morning I have been visiting the blogs of those who have commented on my blog: DaydreamsinTechnicolor and VWB and Susannadare and Rose, first just looking around but ultimately taking the plunge and leaving a post or two.

Now I will have to venture out a bit and leave a post at other blogs that I read regularly. It is amazing that my shyness follows me even into cyberspace: will it seem random that some woman from Houston, Texas just popped in? Well, I guess we'll find out! I'm off to visit bigoven.com and thejoyofbakind.com and all of the other places to make my presence known...

1 comment:

VWB said...

commenting is a critical issue in this 2.0 world...the give & take. your piece, and most especially your dating analog is one of the most cafefully thought out descriptions I have read on the topic. For me, it validates what I do. I know I have a circle of readers, bigger at times than at others, but the people who do comment...it is a gift to me! So i try to return the favor when I can.