Thursday, June 12, 2008

Thing #9 - Recall on yesterday's scepticism

Well, yesterday I took the sceptics stance toward newsfeeds; today, though, I adopt a more broad-minded view of the opportunities available through blogs and newsfeeds. I'm not just playing nice -- I'm not a born-again newsie, either. I've simply spent a little more time with the tools and technology available and am more appreciative of the value offered by blogs and newsfeeds.

Particularly influential in my changed thinking was the article about creating your own "Circle of the Wise" at Coolcatteacher.com. http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com/2006/12/how-to-create-your-circle-of-wise-how.html This author's stance toward character, inspiration, responsibility, etc. assuaged some of my concerns and helped guide my own blog searches.

So, using Coolcat's guidelines, I searched by character and credibility in the areas that I enjoy. Using bloglines and google, I started with William Safire, then on to Jan Freeman, and so on.
These search methods may seem archaic in light of the myriad available, but given my fledgling knowledge and tendency to be overwhelmed by too much information I thought it best to keep it simple.

1 comment:

Ann Williams said...

And I realized part of my purpose in doing the blog is to entice my students to write freely about themselves in the personal essay. I want them to read mine and learn a little about me, too. So I guess being egocentric is okay in this case!