Friday, June 13, 2008

Thing #10 - Visions of Sugarplums


ImageChef.com Poetry Blender

My early morning quest for an ice-cream cake recipe to share on Father's Day must have a lingering effect... (I'm thinking of a chocolate jelly-roll cake with bing cherry ice cream if anyone has a good recipe!).

But on to more salient topics like the image generators: what fun! The greatest difficulty I encountered was deciding from among the options. I started with the Custom Sign Generator http://dummies.book.cover.txt2pic.com/ and after sifting through the 51 links offered therein created the "Dummies" image found down the page a bit.

Amused but not fully satisfied (kind of like eating Jello), I pressed on to Image Chef. Gratified to see the words "Visual Poetry" pop up on the page, I knew I was in the right place. Using the Poetry Blender http://www.imagechef.com/ic/blender/ I created the ice cream image that you see above.

Applications for the classroom? Let your mind run wild. For my own students, I can see covers for their outside reading novels, venues for their found poetry and embellished words, etc. What a great tool for the kids who are inspired to create but are, in their own words, "not good at art."

Well, since these generators give birth to flights of fancy, let me offer a little bit of whimsy to send you on your way...

Bleezer's Ice Cream

by Jack Prelutsky

I am Ebenezer Bleezer,
I run BLEEZER'S ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer
you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations
too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor,
try the flavors on my list:
COCOA MOCHA MACARONI
TAPIOCA SMOKED BALONEY
CHECKERBERRY CHEDDAR CHEW
CHICKEN CHERRY HONEYDEW
TUTTI-FRUTTI STEWED TOMATO
TUNA TACO BAKED POTATO
LOBSTER LITCHI LIMA BEAN
MOZZARELLA MANGOSTEEN
ALMOND HAM MERINGUE SALAMI
YAM ANCHOVY PRUNE PASTRAMI
SASSAFRAS SOUVLAKI HASH
SUKIYAKI SUCCOTASH
BUTTER BRICKLE PEPPER PICKLE
POMEGRANATE PUMPERNICKEL
PEACH PIMENTO PIZZA PLUM
PEANUT PUMPKIN BUBBLEGUM
BROCCOLI BANANA BLUSTER
CHOCOLATE CHOP SUEY CLUSTER
AVOCADO BRUSSELS SPROUT
PERIWINKLE SAUERKRAUT
COTTON CANDY CARROT CUSTARD
CAULIFLOWER COLA MUSTARD
ONION DUMPLING DOUBLE DIP
TURNIP TRUFFLE TRIPLE FLIP
GARLIC GUMBO GRAVY GUAVA
LENTIL LEMON LIVER LAVA
ORANGE OLIVE BAGEL BEET
WATERMELON WAFFLE WHEAT

I am Ebenezer Bleezer,
I run BLEEZER'S ICE CREAM STORE,
taste a flavor from my freezer,
you will surely ask for more.

3 comments:

Infomaniac said...

I love the name of your blog--it is one of the reasons I wanted to read it. I have tried to respond to several other bloggers but everytime I type in the word verification space, I get another one to verify and then am asked to sign in, but the post doesn't go. I hope I can work this problem out so I can post the comments.

I like the way your blog is laid out. You have given me ideas for working on my own--the book favorites and favoriet words. I noticed in your Thing 11 that you did not like your bookshelf. I think it looks great, but if you want a change, try those collage image generators with book covers. I have seen a few that look great. Also, congratualtions on completing the 23 things. Keep blogging; I'll look for you. Now to try to post--again!

Infomaniac (6/26/08) P.S. Today is my 43rd wedding anniversary.

Infomaniac said...

I also meant to tell you thank you for ImageChef.com Loved the image and can use in my weekly school newsletter to staff. The image made me hungry.

Infomaniac

ESLFroggie said...

Your writing is as unctuous as your ice-cream generated picture is. Hope you found a swell recipe for Father's Day. I love your witty writing and your input. I didn't really dabble with the poetry generator, but you make me want to. :)