Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Back to Thing #12


Well, I took the day off today - kind of...


Instead of completing Thing #19, I just spent the morning looking for responses to comments I left on other blogs. (Wow, that sentence is seriously flawed, but it is late and I must get ready for bed soon!) From this, I learned the value of two things: 1) having responses to your comments e-mailed to you (managed through the settings post of your dashboard) and 2) setting up a blog list. You will see mine at the right side of the page. I included those bloggers with whom I have chatted over the last couple of weeks. Now, when I want to see what they are up to, I can just click on their updated posts rather than going back to the learn2play page and trying to remember whose blog I visited! (Again, this is created through the settings tab on your dashboard - add element - blog list.) Somehow I didn't appreciate these features when completing Thing 12, but like the Google notebook that I wrote about earlier, it is only when the information is needed and valuable that learning actually occurs.


Also, in the spirit of creating community, I visited some quieter blogs and encouraged people to get out there and chat! I get the feeling that many of us are still writing for an audience of one...


Well, I'm off to Oklahoma for the 4th and am looking forward to replacing the electronic glare of the computer screen with the warmth of the sun; the clickety-clack of the keyboard with the popping of fireworks ; posted comments with live conversation. I wish you all the same blessings!


Happy Independence Day!


8 comments:

Infomaniac said...

Your blog really helped me today. Thank you for explaining how to do a blog list. I too was trying to remember who had commented by returing to the list. Thanks to you, I now have a list on my blog--much easier.

nancym said...

I just did the task on creatinga community and you are right. I think I found out my random daily response didn't quite fit the guidelines but I hope the spirit was correct. I responded to a 5th grade science teacher's blog and an older tennis player's blog that I really enjoyed. I felt like I contributed. I am still keeping up my random daily response just because it is fun.

Susanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susanna said...

I love your statement in thispost about how learning occurs when it is applicable! Some of the things we have been learning are useful to me right now. We're on vacation, so playing with the photo sites is helping me to preserve and share my snapshots.

nancym said...

I hope you are up to blogging soon. How was Rice? Lucille? Death man? I am sure there is a short story in the making. I have kept all the ditties in a google notebook. I only hope I don't wake up one day dittiless!

LauraAnn said...

Nancy, far worse: you could be scared dittiless! Sorry for the coarse humor - probably in poor taste, but...

LauraAnn said...

Susanna,
I hope you are enjoying your vacation! Are you blogging from afar?

Susanna said...

I am back from vacation now, but I did post a bit while on my balcony watching the Gulf Coast storms that come through. I had a 360 degree view of the west side of Galveston. I could see the coast, the bay, and a pasture full of cows!! Amazingly enough, there were fabulous sunsets falling behind the Texas City Petroleum plants. It was beautiful in an only in Texas sort of way.