Monday, July 7, 2008

Thing # 19 - The Link not Taken

Well, I couldn't really get a bead on my post for Thing #19; in fact, I completed the thing before I went away for the 4th, but a meaningful response eluded me. What is there to say? It is a great list? It is. There are a lot of cool sites? There are. In fact, I was astounded by the variety of sites listed in each category.

Each category, you ask? The assignment said to pick one proven winner and explore it. Easier said than done, my friends. Let's walk through a category like.... hmnnn... food. Let's see... oh, the highest rated site contains videos - not a video person (at least yet) ; the second is a restaurant rating site - interesting, but we tend to revisit our favorite places rather than venture out; the third is another video site - still don't like those and the graphics are slow to load; but wait, here is an interesting site listed as the honorable mention: Recipe Key. Cool! It has an ingredient match where you can specify ingredients you already have on hand, and the search engine will find recipes that match, or nearly match, those particular items.

Let's see, I have peanut butter, brown sugar, flour, vanilla, eggs, I want to bake something - a dessert...wowee! Do you know I have almost all of the ingredients to make 896 different recipes? Where shall I start? But wait, I have oatmeal too, and salt, and refined sugar, and...

You can see the problem: too many cool sites, too little time. It puts me in mind of a line from Robert Frost's "The Road not Taken": "Yet knowing how way leads on to way,/I doubted if I should ever come back." What if I looked at one site and not the other and missed something wonderful? So, I keep clicking around, and around, and around.

And you know what happens right? The same has happened to you all - I've read about it in your own posts! One hour turns into two, two into two-and-a-half, and I'm still sitting here, clicking around because I might miss something!

So, in the spirit of another really cool site , Seventeen Syllables, one that I found in a link from an award-winning site, One Sentence, I'll close with a haiku:


Learn2Play:

Alone at my desk:
Click, link, next, back, click, next, home.
Seconds become hours!

3 comments:

Ann Williams said...

Hi Laura--
I am doing my postings on blogs this morning and was saving yours until last because it would be most fun--I love your haiku!
Hu and I leave for Nashville tomorrow morning--I am trying to get his clothes organized--difficult when he can't really help--has no idea of what linen or gabardine is--so I had to ransack his closet for the pieces I wanted him to have--we are invited to three social events plus the wedding--must have the clothes to be presentable! I will have to wind up ironing his linen shirts today as it is too late to get them to the cleaners--I did wind up buying a new outfit from Bluefish for the wedding--but I think I will wear my other dress to the rehearsal dinner and party afterwards--
I can't wait to see you next week--

Tiger Lilly said...

Love your bookshelf - and I'm going to try the recipe thing. You seem to be doing just fine without being a "video" person - and who says you need to be a video person, right? You're a great writer and communicator!

Renae Perkins

nancym said...

Laura, I just wrote a wonderful response and poof it is gone! Holy CR....I'll try to recreate as best I can. First I said that I loved Ann's posting..more about packing and less about tagging. I then said I was concerned about you concern of the cold and Gay's concern of falling. I mentioned that the absence of my concern means I have so many that not one emerges as the leader. I then mention the mentioning of back to school in many blogs this week and said that I felt it was way to early to be thinking that way. I also ask you to keep your ears open for mention of the random daily responder in hopes that my reputation was spreading among the bloggers. Just one small brush with fame is all I ask. I then signed nscu. Leve, Nan (my assertive name)