Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Thing 3 – Skype

An unfortunate name, don’t you agree? I wonder how some advertising/marketing guru let that one slip by… , but already I digress.

On to the point, if there is something I have learned about technology over the last few years, it is that avoiding it will not make things better: one, whatever the application, it is not going away; in fact, it will only be replaced by something more sophisticated and multifunctional, and two, there will come a time when you will be so behind the times that it becomes difficult to catch up. This seems like the perfect place for some axiomatic reminder about the inevitable, but sadly all that comes to mind is Ross Perot’s ill-conceived comment about Texas weather. So, lacking a pithy quote, perhaps an object lesson is more appropriate. Why learn to Skype?

Let me offer in the form of an analogy, my experiences with the MP3 player.: growing up in the era of the Sony Walkman (purchased at Houston Jewelers for nearly 100 dollars in 1984), the concept of portable music was not entirely unheard of, but I just couldn’t wrap my brain around the MP3 player, mainly the idea of purchasing and downloading music. So I just skipped it, moved on, didn’t concern my pretty little head about it until about three years ago. For those of you needing a history lesson, the iPod was launched in 2001, leaving me roughly 5 years behind the times.

How far behind the times? Well, the MP3 player I purchased at Costco (watch out, I feel another digression coming… I love Costco…) only came with operating instructions, no instructions for downloading music! Of course, my students reassured me that it was easy, all I had to do was “blah, blah” – they might as well spoken Greek.

I suffered through hours of seat time in front of my computer, desperately trying to get the stupid music downloaded before admitting utter defeat, asking for help from anyone who could offer some, and then resorting to Google. And do you know from whence the rescue came? Who offered technology help for the weak, the tired, and the huddled masses? WALMART.COM!!!

Now you can take that anyway you like, but I’ll just say this: when you have to rely on the home of “rollback prices” for your technology savvy, well, that’s pretty sad!

So I’m going to learn to Skype now, no matter all of the unknowns, the difficulties, the distractions. I’m not going back to Walmart!

2 comments:

nancym said...

Much better! You will finish the program. I found myself nodding in agreement with you an all your points. But WalMart, really? You know how I feel about that sleezy place. Now Castco. that is a different story. anyway on to technology. I don't know how to download music yet. The idea of paying for music makes me about as sick as...having to buy a converter box or sign up for a TV service just to get the basic channel, which I remember from Communication Law and Ethics belong to the public. I know I could learn if I cared to but...Frankly Scarlett who gives a flip? Not me. I like my free FM radio, advertisements and all. As for SKYPE, I'm not there yet. Speaking of strange names how about that drinkable digestive correction potion called uhg or url or hurl. Someone needs to have a talk with them before David Letterman or SNL pick them apart. Holy gamoly, I write more on your blog than my own.

nancym said...

I liked Joseph's book. Where is your book? Perhaps you can claim big and small states as your own. I thought it was really good. I didn't know New York was a big state.