Monday, June 29, 2009

Thing 9: The Sippy-Cup Conundrum


Anyone who has ever had children or, as I, spent innumerable hours with those of the toddler set knows the sippy-cup paradox: one lid does not fit all. Although those cheerfully adorned little plastic tumblers appear similar, there is no shared design which allows the sleepy mother or frantic babysitter to apply a Gerber lid to a Playtex bottle or vice-versa. The lids and stoppers do not, under any set of circumstances, applied force, or gentle pleadings, fit the other cups. The Playtex? No. Avent? Nope. First years? Not on your life. Each brand's cup and lid is uniquely (diabolically?) designed to work only in harmony with the other.


But (and there is always a big but out there, isn't there folks??), but, someone could make a killing by inventing just such an object: the universal sippy-cup lid! One that crosses the engineered boundaries of design, the "uni-lid" would provide a user-friendly solution to the wrong lid conundrum. Oh, but this is just pie-in-the-sky musing, isn't it? I mean, who would create one product just to solve the problems created by the limitations of others?


Well, slideshare would, and slideboom and authorstream and 280 slides, as well. You see, those bright young minds in the ever-advancing world of technology have recognized the untapped bounty created by competing applications. Can't open power point? Can't get googledocs to download? Need to send a slideshow to your compatriate presenting in Kuala Lampur but your e-mail can't handle the bulky file? These online collaborative tools provide the solution! And that, my friends, is really cool, not to mention smart, forward thinking, and profitable.


So, those of you looking to make your millions, get started on the uni-lid right away: I formally cede all intellectual rights I might have to the idea. There's definitely a need, definitely a market, and definitely a model for you to follow...


Good luck and God speed!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Ha! I love this post. You're so clever! I had no idea about the sippy cups, as the extent my experience with young children is, as Bill Cosby put it, "I started out as a child..."

PS I love your avatar! So cute. What is in Coach's bag, I wonder? Probably his part of Joe's tuna salad subway sandwich! :)

nancym said...

I already have the lid design underway. I'm thinking of the largest size made with smaller grooves inside. Who do I talk to about manufacturing this for me? Now, who marketed the optigrab? I can see that this invention could lead to other areas such as Tupperware,... How about the fate of Billy Mays? Anyhow, your post makes me feel hopeful about the upcoming tasks. Did this post have anything to do with the Hub?